Common Colostomy Problems
Constipation can occasionally cause problems; however there are one or two simple remedies to try before seeking further help:
- Increase fresh fruit and/or fresh fruit juice, vegetables and high fibre foods
- Increase fluid intake, especially when eating more fibre
- Try, where possible, to do some gentle exercises such as walking or swimming
Colostomy Bag Leakage
Colostomy bag leaks can occur for a variety of different reasons, which can include:
- Colostomy bag hole is too large – this needs to be a snug fit
- Colostomy bag is applied incorrectly – this can be due to creases in adhesive and abdominal skin behind the pouch. To combat this, the skin needs to be gently stretched
- Skin is too moist – make sure the skin is dry before applying the stoma pouch
- Stoma is in a dip or crease in the abdomen – try paste, washers or different pouches to help the adhesive gently conform to the body’s shape. Speak to your healthcare professional for advice.
- Stoma is flat or retracted – you may need a stoma pouch with a convex flange.
Speak to your healthcare professional for advice